transition(redirected from transitioning)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Change from one form, state, style, or place to another.
a. Change from one subject to another in discourse.
b. A word, phrase, sentence, or series of sentences connecting one part of a discourse to another.
a. Change from one key or tonality to another.
b. A passage connecting two themes or sections, usually changing to a new key or tonality.
4. Genetics A point mutation in which a pyrimidine is replaced by another pyrimidine, or a purine is replaced by another purine.
5. Sports The process of changing from defense to offense or offense to defense without a stoppage in play, as in basketball or hockey.
6. A period during childbirth that precedes the expulsive phase of labor, characterized by strong uterine contractions and nearly complete cervical dilation.
intr.v. tran·si·tioned, tran·si·tion·ing, tran·si·tions
1. To make a transition.
2. Sports To change from defense to offense or offense to defense without a stoppage in play.
tran·si′tion·al, tran·si′tion·ar′y (-zĭsh′ə-nĕr′ē) adj.
1. change or passage from one state or stage to another
2. the period of time during which something changes from one state or stage to another
3. (Music, other) music
a. a movement from one key to another; modulation
b. a linking passage between two divisions in a composition; bridge
4. (Historical Terms) Also called: transitional a style of architecture that was used in western Europe in the late 11th and early 12th century, characterized by late Romanesque forms combined with early Gothic details
5. (General Physics) physics
a. any change that results in a change of physical properties of a substance or system, such as a change of phase or molecular structure
b. a change in the configuration of an atomic nucleus, involving either a change in energy level resulting from the emission of a gamma-ray photon or a transformation to another element or isotope
6. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a sentence, passage, etc, that connects a topic to one that follows or that links sections of a written work
to change or cause to change from one state or stage to another
[C16: from Latin transitio; see transient]
tranˈsitional, tranˈsitionary adj
tran•si•tion(trænˈzɪʃ ən, -ˈsɪʃ-)
1. movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another.
2. a period during which such change takes place.
a. a modulation in music.
b. a modulating passage from one part of a musical composition to another.
4. a passage that links one scene or topic to another, as in a piece of writing.v.i.
5. to make a transition.
[1545–55; < Latin trānsitiō a going across =trānsi-, variant s. of trānsīre to cross (see transit) + -tiō -tion]
tran•si′tion•al, tran•si′tion•a`ry (-əˌnɛr i) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||transition - the act of passing from one state or place to the next|
change of state - the act of changing something into something different in essential characteristics
segue - the act of changing smoothly from one state or situation to another
|2.||transition - an event that results in a transformation|
glycogenesis - the conversion of glucose to glycogen when the glucose in the blood exceeds the demand
rectification - the conversion of alternating current to direct current
|3.||transition - a change from one place or state or subject or stage to another|
alteration, change, modification - an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another; "the change was intended to increase sales"; "this storm is certainly a change for the worse"; "the neighborhood had undergone few modifications since his last visit years ago"
ground swell - an obvious change of public opinion or political sentiment that occurs without leadership or overt expression; "there was a ground swell of antiwar sentiment"
|4.||transition - a musical passage moving from one key to another|
|5.||transition - a passage that connects a topic to one that follows|
passage - a section of text; particularly a section of medium length
flashback - a transition (in literary or theatrical works or films) to an earlier event or scene that interrupts the normal chronological development of the story
flash-forward - a transition (in literary or theatrical works or films) to a later event or scene that interrupts the normal chronological development of the story
dissolve - (film) a gradual transition from one scene to the next; the next scene is gradually superimposed as the former scene fades out
cut - (film) an immediate transition from one shot to the next; "the cut from the accident scene to the hospital seemed too abrupt"
jump - (film) an abrupt transition from one scene to another
|Verb||1.||transition - cause to convert or undergo a transition; "the company had to transition the old practices to modern technology"|
convert - change the nature, purpose, or function of something; "convert lead into gold"; "convert hotels into jails"; "convert slaves to laborers"
|2.||transition - make or undergo a transition (from one state or system to another); "The airline transitioned to more fuel-efficient jets"; "The adagio transitioned into an allegro"|
quá trình biến chuyển
(a) change from one place, state, subject etc to another. The transition from child to adult can be difficult. oorgang إنْتِقال، تَحَوُّل преход transição přechod der Übergang overgang μετάβαση, αλλαγή, πέρασμαtransición üleminek تغییر؛ تحول muutos transitionהעברה परिवर्तन prijelaz, tranzicija átmenet peralihan umskipti transizione 移行 변화 perėjimas pāreja peralihan overgangovergangprzejście بدلون ، تغییر transição trecere; tranziţie переход; смена preprava prehod tranzicija övergång การเปลี่ยน değişim 過渡，轉變 перехід; перехідний період تغير، تبديلي sự quá độ 过渡，转变tranˈsitional adjective
of or concerning transition. a transitional stage/period. oorganklik إنْتِقالي преходен de transição přechodný Übergangs-... overgangs- μεταβατικόςtransitorio ülemineku- موقت؛ انتقالی siirtymä- transitoireחולף परिवर्ती prijelazni, tranzicijski átmeneti mengenai peralihan breytinga-, umskipta- di transizione 過度の 과도적인, 과도기의 pereinamasis pārejas- peralihan overgangs-overgangs-przejściowy انتقالی، موقت de transição de tranziţie переходный prechodný prehoden tranzicioni övergångs-, mellan- ซึ่งส่งผ่าน geçişe ait 轉變的 перехідний; проміжний عبوري thuộc quá độ 转变的