Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to transmutation: Transmutation of elements
a. The act or an instance of transmuting; transformation.
b. The state of being transmuted.
2. Physics Transformation of one element into another by one or a series of nuclear reactions.
3. The supposed conversion of base metals into gold or silver in alchemy.
trans′mu·ta′tion·al, trans·mut′a·tive (-myo͞o′tə-tĭv) adj.
1. the act or an instance of transmuting
2. (Elements & Compounds) the change of one chemical element into another by a nuclear reaction
3. (Alchemy) the attempted conversion, by alchemists, of base metals into gold or silver
ˌtransmuˈtational, transˈmutative adj
ˌtransmuˈtationist n, adj
trans•mu•ta•tion(ˌtræns myuˈteɪ ʃən, ˌtrænz-)
1. the act or process of transmuting.
2. the fact or state of being transmuted.
3. the transformation of one species into another.
4. any process in which a nuclide is transformed into a different nuclide, usu. one of a different element.
5. (in alchemy) the conversion of base metals into metals of greater value, esp. into gold or silver.
[1350–1400; Middle English transmutacio(u)n (< Old French transmutation) < Latin trānsmūtātiō a changing, shifting, derivative of trānsmūtā(re) (see transmute)]
trans•mut′a•tive (-ˈmyu tə tɪv) adj.
The changing of one chemical element into another. Transmutations occur naturally through radioactive decay, or artificially by bombarding the nucleus of a substance with subatomic particles.
the process or act of change, especially from one thing to another, as the change from base metal to gold, pursued by the alchemists. — transmutationist, n. — transmutative, adj.See also: Alchemy
the process or act of change, especially from one thing to another, as the change from base metal to gold, pursued by the alchemists. — transmutationist, n. — transmutative, adj.See also: Change
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||transmutation - an act that changes the form or character or substance of something|
conversion - the act of changing from one use or function or purpose to another
|2.||transmutation - a qualitative change |
alteration, change, modification - an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another; "the change was intended to increase sales"; "this storm is certainly a change for the worse"; "the neighborhood had undergone few modifications since his last visit years ago"
population shift - a change in the relative numbers of the different groups of individuals making up a population
pyrolysis - transformation of a substance produced by the action of heat
sea change - a profound transformation
sublimation - (chemistry) a change directly from the solid to the gaseous state without becoming liquid
tin disease, tin pest, tin plague - the transformation of ordinary white tin into powdery grey tin at very cold temperatures
strengthening - becoming stronger
weakening - becoming weaker
|3.||transmutation - (physics) the change of one chemical element into another (as by nuclear decay or radioactive bombardment); "the transmutation of base metals into gold proved to be impossible"|
natural philosophy, physics - the science of matter and energy and their interactions; "his favorite subject was physics"