Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to transporting: Trainspotting
tr.v. trans·port·ed, trans·port·ing, trans·ports
1. To move or carry (goods, for example) from one place to another; convey. See Synonyms at carry.
2. To cause to feel strong emotion, especially joy; carry away; enrapture.
3. To send abroad to a penal colony; deport.
1. The act of transporting; conveyance.
2. The condition of being transported by emotion; joy or rapture.
3. A ship or aircraft used to transport troops or military equipment.
4. A vehicle, such as an aircraft, used to transport passengers, mail, or freight.
a. The system of transporting passengers or goods in a particular country or area.
b. The vehicles, such as buses and trains, used in such a system.
6. A deported convict.
[Middle English transporten, from Old French transporter, from Latin trānsportāre : trāns-, trans- + portāre, to carry; see per- in Indo-European roots.]