Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A shallow flat receptacle with a raised edge or rim, used for carrying, holding, or displaying articles.
2. A shallow flat receptacle with its contents: took the patient a dinner tray.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Furniture) a thin flat board or plate of metal, plastic, etc, usually with a raised edge, on which things can be carried
2. (Furniture) a shallow receptacle for papers, etc, sometimes forming a drawer in a cabinet or box
[Old English trieg; related to Old Swedish trö corn measure, Old Norse treyja carrier, Greek driti tub, German Trog trough]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a flat, shallow container or receptacle, usu. with slightly raised edges, used for carrying, holding, or displaying articles.
2. a removable receptacle of this shape in a cabinet, box, trunk, etc.
3. a tray and its contents: a breakfast tray.
[before 1050; Middle English; late Old English trīg, c. early Swedish trö corn measure; akin to tree]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
- salver - A tray or dish on which a drink, letter, calling card, etc. is offered.
- tray - The drawer for storing a body at a mortuary.
- trencher - A platter or tray for serving food.
- plateau - Can refer to an ornamented dish or tray for serving food.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tray - an open receptacle for holding or displaying or serving articles or food|
cafeteria tray - a tray for carrying your food in a cafeteria
icetray - a tray for making cubes of ice in a refrigerator
inkstand - a tray or stand for writing implements and containers for ink
receptacle - a container that is used to put or keep things in
salver - a tray (or large plate) for serving food or drinks; usually made of silver
tea tray - a tray that accommodates a tea service
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. N (for food, dishes) → bandeja f, charola f (Mex); (= tea tray) → bandeja f del té; (= filing tray) → cesta f; [of balance] → platillo m; (= drawer) → cajón m, batea f (Phot, Tech) → cubeta f
B. CPD tray cloth N → cubrebandeja m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Tablett nt; (= tea tray) → Teebrett nt, → Servierbrett nt; (of cakes, small) → Platte f; (big) → Brett nt; (for display) → Auslagekästchen nt; (= baking tray) → (Back)blech nt; (for pencils etc) → (Feder)schale f; (for papers, mail) → Ablage f; (= drawer) → (Schub)fach nt; (of printer) → Schacht m; (of street vendor etc) → Bauchladen m; (in suitcase, trunk) → Einsatz m; (Phot: = ice tray) → Schale f; (for ash) → Kasten m; (in bird cage) → Schublade f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a flat piece of wood, metal etc with a low edge, for carrying dishes etc. She brought in the tea on a tray; a tea-tray. skinkbord صينيَّه поднос tabuleiro tác das Tablett bakke; -bakke δίσκοςbandeja kandik سینی tarjotin plateauמגש ट्रे pladanj, tacna tálca talam, nampan, baki bakki vassoio 盆 쟁반 padėklas paplāte dulang; talam dienbladbretttaca پتنوس، مجمه tabuleiro tavă поднос tácňa, podnos pladenj poslužavnik bricka ถาด tepsi 托盤 піднос, таця سيني، طباق cái khay, cái mâm 托盘
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
tray→ صِينِيَّة tác bakke Tablett δίσκος bandeja tarjotin plateau poslužavnik vassoio 盆 쟁반 dienblad brett taca bandeja поднос bricka ถาด tepsi khay 托盘
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
trayn bandeja, charola (Mex)
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.