Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
left to right: C major, E minor, and D diminished triads
1. A group of three.
2. Music A chord of three tones, especially one built on a given root tone plus a major or minor third and a perfect fifth.
3. A section of a Pindaric ode consisting of the strophe, antistrophe, and epode.
tri·ad′ic (trī-ăd′ĭk) adj.
1. a group of three; trio
2. (Chemistry) chem an atom, element, group, or ion that has a valency of three
3. (Music, other) music a three-note chord consisting of a note and the third and fifth above it
4. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) an aphoristic literary form used in medieval Welsh and Irish literature
5. (Military) the US strategic nuclear force, consisting of intercontinental ballistic missiles, submarine-launched ballistic missiles, and bombers
[C16: from Late Latin trias, from Greek; related to Greek treis three]
(Law) any of several Chinese secret societies, esp one involved in criminal activities, such as drug trafficking
tri•ad(ˈtraɪ æd, -əd)
1. a group of three, esp. of three closely related persons or things.
a. an element, atom, or group having a valence of three.
b. a group of three closely related compounds or elements, as isomers or halides.
3. the basic chord of a musical tonality, consisting of a tonic, a third, and a fifth.
Triada group of three.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||triad - the cardinal number that is the sum of one and one and one|
3, deuce-ace, III, tercet, ternary, ternion, terzetto, three, threesome, trey, trine, trinity, trio, triplet, troika, tierce, leash
|2.||triad - a set of three similar things considered as a unit|
trilogy - a set of three literary or dramatic works related in subject or theme
triplicity, trigon - (astrology) one of four groups of the zodiac where each group consists of three signs separated from each other by 120 degrees
set - a group of things of the same kind that belong together and are so used; "a set of books"; "a set of golf clubs"; "a set of teeth"
|3.||triad - three people considered as a unit |
triumvirate - a group of three men responsible for public administration or civil authority
|4.||triad - a three-note major or minor chord; a note and its third and fifth tones|
chord - a combination of three or more notes that blend harmoniously when sounded together