Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to triple crown: Belmont Stakes
1. Sports An unofficial championship title attained by a horse that wins the three traditional races for a specified category.
2. Baseball An unofficial championship title achieved by a player who is at the head of the league in batting average, home runs, and runs batted in.
1. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church the Pope's tiara
2. (Horse Racing) horse racing the winning of three important races in one season
3. (Rugby) (often capitals) rugby union a victory by Scotland, England, Wales, or Ireland in all three games against the others in the annual Six (formerly, Five) Nations Championship. Compare grand slam3
1. an unofficial title held by a horse that wins the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont Stakes.
2. a usu. unofficial title held by someone who wins three major awards or championships in the same year.
Imaginary prize, part of the Five Nations Championship, awarded to the home international side of England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland that wins all three of its matches against the other home teams.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||triple crown - (horse racing) a title won by a horse that can win the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes and the Preakness|
horse racing - the sport of racing horses
|2.||triple crown - (baseball) an unofficial title won by a batter who leads the league in hitting average, runs batted in, and home runs|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"