Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to triple crown: Belmont Stakes
1. Sports An unofficial championship title attained by a horse that wins the three traditional races for a specified category.
2. Baseball An unofficial championship title achieved by a player who is at the head of the league in batting average, home runs, and runs batted in.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church the Pope's tiara
2. (Horse Racing) horse racing the winning of three important races in one season
3. (Rugby) (often capitals) rugby union a victory by Scotland, England, Wales, or Ireland in all three games against the others in the annual Six (formerly, Five) Nations Championship. Compare grand slam3
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an unofficial title held by a horse that wins the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont Stakes.
2. a usu. unofficial title held by someone who wins three major awards or championships in the same year.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Imaginary prize, part of the Five Nations Championship, awarded to the home international side of England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland that wins all three of its matches against the other home teams.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||triple crown - (horse racing) a title won by a horse that can win the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes and the Preakness|
horse racing - the sport of racing horses
|2.||triple crown - (baseball) an unofficial title won by a batter who leads the league in hitting average, runs batted in, and home runs|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.