Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to tripling: quadrupling
1. Consisting of three parts or members.
2. Three times as much in size, strength, number, or amount.
3. Music Having three beats to a measure.
1. A number or quantity three times as great as another.
a. Something having three identifiable or prominent parts or members.
b. Something capable of carrying or moving three people or things, as a chairlift.
3. Baseball A hit enabling the batter to reach third base. Also called three-bagger, three-base hit.
4. See trifecta.
v. tri·pled, tri·pling, tri·ples
To make three times as great in number or amount.
1. To be or become three times as great in number or amount.
2. Baseball To make a triple.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin triplus (on the model of Greek triploos) : Latin tri-, three; see trei- in Indo-European roots + -plus, -fold; see pel- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tripling - increase by a factor of three |
multiplication - a multiplicative increase; "repeated copying leads to a multiplication of errors"; "this multiplication of cells is a natural correlate of growth"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.