Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A metal stand with short feet, used under a hot dish on a table.
b. A usually raised plate of ceramic, wood, or another material that serves a similar purpose.
2. A three-legged stand made of metal, used for supporting cooking vessels in a hearth.
[Middle English trevet, stand for cooking vessels, from Old English trefet, probably alteration (influenced by Old English thrifēte, three-footed) of Latin tripēs, triped- : tri-, tri- + pēs, foot; see ped- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Cookery) a stand, usually three-legged and metal, on which cooking vessels are placed over a fire
2. (Cookery) a short metal stand on which hot dishes are placed on a table
3. as right as a trivet old-fashioned in perfect health
[Old English trefet (influenced by Old English thrifēte having three feet), from Latin tripēs having three feet]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a small metal or ceramic plate with short legs, used under a hot platter or dish to protect a table.
2. a three-legged stand placed over a fire to support cooking vessels or the like.
[1375–1425; late Middle English trevet, Old English trefet, appar. b. Old English thrifēte three-footed and Latin triped-, s. of tripēs three-footed (with Vulgar Latin -e- for Latin -i-)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||trivet - a three-legged metal stand for supporting a cooking vessel in a hearth|
|2.||trivet - a stand with short feet used under a hot dish on a table|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.