Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A curve traced by a point on or connected with a circle as the circle rolls along a fixed straight line.
adj. also tro·choi·dal (trō-koid′l, trŏk-oid′l)
1. Capable of or exhibiting rotation about a central axis.
2. Permitting rotation, as a pulley or pivot.
[Greek trokhoeidēs, wheellike : trokhos, wheel; see trochee + -oeidēs, -oid.]
(Mathematics) the curve described by a fixed point on the radius or extended radius of a circle as the circle rolls along a straight line
1. (Mathematics) rotating or capable of rotating about a central axis
2. (Anatomy) anatomy (of a structure or part) resembling or functioning as a pivot or pulley
[C18: from Greek trokhoeidēs circular, from trokhos wheel]
1. a curve traced by a point on a radius or an extension of the radius of a circle that rolls, without slipping, on a curve, another circle, or a straight line.adj.
2. rotating on an axis, as a wheel.