troika(redirected from troikas)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A Russian carriage drawn by a team of three horses abreast.
b. A team of three horses abreast.
2. See triumvirate.
1. a Russian vehicle drawn by three horses abreast
2. (Horse Training, Riding & Manège) three horses harnessed abreast
3. a triumvirate
[C19: from Russian, from troe three]
n., pl. -kas.
1. a Russian carriage, wagon, or sleigh drawn by a team of three horses abreast.
2. a team of three horses driven abreast.
3. a ruling group of three; triumvirate.
4. any group of three.
[1835–45; < Russian tróĭka threesome, troika, derivative of tróe three (collective), akin to tri three]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||troika - a Russian carriage pulled by three horses abreast|
|2.||troika - the cardinal number that is the sum of one and one and one|
3, deuce-ace, III, tercet, ternary, ternion, terzetto, three, threesome, trey, triad, trine, trinity, trio, triplet, tierce, leash
|3.||troika - a modern Russian triumvirate |
triumvirate - a group of three men responsible for public administration or civil authority