Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. tro·phies
a. A prize or memento, such as a cup or plaque, received as a symbol of victory, especially in sports.
b. A specimen or part, such as a lion's head, preserved as a token of a successful hunt.
c. A memento, as of one's personal achievements.
d. The spoils of war, dedicated in classical antiquity with an inscription to a deity and set up as a temporary monument on or near a battlefield, placed in an existing temple, or housed in a permanent, new structure.
a. An ornamental depiction of a group of weapons or pieces of armor.
b. A similar depiction of a group of other items, such as musical instruments or agricultural implements.
Impressive or ostentatious so as to display one's wealth or status: a trophy home.
n, pl -phies
1. (General Sporting Terms) an object such as a silver or gold cup that is symbolic of victory in a contest, esp a sporting contest; prize
2. a memento of success, esp one taken in war or hunting
3. (Historical Terms) (in ancient Greece and Rome)
a. a memorial to a victory, usually consisting of captured arms raised on the battlefield or in a public place
b. a representation of such a memorial
4. (Architecture) an ornamental carving that represents a group of weapons, etc
5. (modifier) informal highly desirable and regarded as a symbol of wealth or success: a trophy wife.
[C16: from French trophée, from Latin tropaeum, from Greek tropaion, from tropē a turning, defeat of the enemy; related to Greek trepein to turn]
n., pl. -phies.
1. anything taken in war, hunting, competition, etc., esp. when preserved as a memento.
2. anything won or awarded as a token or evidence of victory, valor, skill, etc.: athletic trophies.
3. a carving, painting, or other representation of objects associated with victory or achievement.
4. (in ancient Greece and Rome) a memorial to a military victory, orig. captured armor and weapons hung at the site of a rout.
[1505–15; earlier trophe < French trophée < Latin trop(h)aeum < Greek trópaion, n. use of neuter of trópaios, tropaîos of turning or putting to flight, derivative of trop(ḗ) a turning. compare trope]
a combining form meaning “nutrition,” “growth, development” (dystrophy; hypertrophy); also forming abstract nouns corresponding to adjectives ending in -trophic.
[< Greek -trophia nutrition =troph(ḗ) food + -ia -y3]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||trophy - an award for success in war or hunting|
|2.||trophy - something given as a token of victory|
apple of discord - (classical mythology) a golden apple thrown into a banquet of the gods by Eris (goddess of discord--who had not been invited); the apple had `for the fairest' written on it and Hera and Athena and Aphrodite all claimed it; when Paris (prince of Troy) awarded it to Aphrodite it began a chain of events that led to the Trojan War
bronze medal - a trophy made of bronze (or having the appearance of bronze) that is usually awarded for winning third place in a competition
loving cup, cup - a large metal vessel with two handles that is awarded as a trophy to the winner of a competition; "the school kept the cups is a special glass case"
gold medal - a trophy made of gold (or having the appearance of gold) that is usually awarded for winning first place in a competition
silver medal, silver - a trophy made of silver (or having the appearance of silver) that is usually awarded for winning second place in a competition
جائِزَه رِياضِيَّهغَنيمَه، نُصُب تِذْكاريكَأْس
minnisvarîi um sigur, minjagripurverîlaunagripur
A. N (gen) → trofeo m
B. CPD trophy wife N joven esposa de un hombre de éxito que éste gusta de exhibir
n (Hunt, Mil, Sport) → Trophäe f
trophy[ˈtrəʊfɪ] n → trofeo
trophy(ˈtrəufi) – plural ˈtrophies – noun
1. a prize for winning in a sport etc. He won a silver trophy for shooting. trofee جائِزَه رِياضِيَّه трофей troféu trofej die Trophäe trofæ βραβείοtrofeo karikas جایزه pokaali trophéeגביע विजयो पहार trofej, nagrada díj, trófea hadiah kemenangan verðlaunagripur trofeo トロフィー 우승 기념품 apdovanojimas, prizas piala prijspokal, trofé, premietrofeum جایزه ،انعام troféu trofeu приз trofej trofeja trofej trofé รางวัล ödül, kupa, madalya 獎杯 трофей ٹرافي، فتح کي نشاني cúp 奖杯
2. something which is kept in memory of a victory, success etc. kleinood غَنيمَه، نُصُب تِذْكاري трофей troféu trofej die Trophäe trofæ τρόπαιοtrofeo trofee یادبود muisto trophéeגביע विजय स्मारक trofej, spomen trófea tanda kemenangan minnisvarði um sigur, minjagripur trofeo 記念品 승리 기념물 trofėjus balva piala trofeesuvenirtrofeum یادونه troféu trofeu трофей trofej trofeja trofej trofé สิ่งที่ยึดได้จากศัตรูและเก็บไว้เป็นที่ระลึกถึงชัยชนะ yadigâr, hatıra 勝利紀念品 трофей; здобич فتح کي يادگار chiến lợi phẩm 胜利纪念品