Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to true bug: order Hemiptera
1. A hemipteran.
2. A heteropteran.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n., v. bugged, bug•ging. n.
1. Also called true bug. any insect of the order Hemiptera, characterized by sucking mouthparts and thickened, leathery forewings.
2. (loosely) any insect or insectlike invertebrate.
3. Informal. any microorganism, esp. a virus: an intestinal bug.
4. a defect, error, or imperfection, as in computer software.
a. an often short-lived enthusiasm; a craze or obsession: He's got the sports-car bug.
b. an enthusiast; fan; hobbyist: a camera bug.
6. a hidden microphone or other electronic eavesdropping device.
7. Horse Racing. the five-pound weight allowance that can be claimed by an apprentice jockey.v.t.
8. to install a secret listening device in or on: The phone was bugged.
9. Informal. to annoy or pester.v.i.
10. (of eyes) to bulge.
11. bug off, Slang. to leave or depart (often used as a command).
12. bug out, Slang. to flee in panic.Idioms:
put a bug in someone's ear, to give someone a subtle suggestion.
[1615–25; earlier bugge beetle]
1. a river in E central Europe, rising in W Ukraine and forming part of the boundary between Poland and Ukraine, flowing NW to the Vistula in Poland. 450 mi. (725 km) long.
2. a river in SW Ukraine, flowing SE to the Dnieper estuary. ab. 530 mi. (850 km) long.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A wingless or four-winged insect having mouthparts adapted for piercing or sucking. Bedbugs and lice are examples of true bugs. See Note at bug.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||true bug - any of various insects of the order Hemiptera and especially of the suborder Heteroptera|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.