truffle(redirected from truffling)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to truffling: trifling
1. Any of various edible, fleshy, irregularly rounded ascomycetous fungi, chiefly of the genus Tuber, that grow underground on or near the roots of trees and are valued as a delicacy.
2. Any of various round candies made of chocolate, butter or cream, sugar, and various flavorings, often coated with cocoa powder.
[Alteration of French trufe, from Old French, from Old Provençal trufa, from Vulgar Latin *tūfera, truffles, from dialectal variant of Latin tūber, lump; see teuə- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) Also called: earthnut any of various edible saprotrophic ascomycetous subterranean fungi of the European genus Tuber. They have a tuberous appearance and are regarded as a delicacy
2. (Cookery) chiefly Brit a chocolate sweet resembling this fungus in shape
[C16: from French truffe, from Old Provençal trufa, ultimately from Latin tūber]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
truf•fle(ˈtrʌf əl, ˈtru fəl)
1. any of several subterranean, edible, ascomycetous fungi of the genus Tuber.
2. any of various similar fungi of other genera.
3. a ball-shaped candy of soft chocolate dusted with cocoa.
[1585–95; < Dutch truffel(e) < Middle French truffle, truffe < Old Provençal trufa < Late Latin tūfera,*tūfer]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A rare European mushroom-like fungus, black or white in color. Regarded as a delicacy.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||truffle - any of various highly prized edible subterranean fungi of the genus Tuber; grow naturally in southwestern Europe|
genus Tuber, Tuber - type genus of the Tuberaceae: fungi whose fruiting bodies are typically truffles
fungus - an organism of the kingdom Fungi lacking chlorophyll and feeding on organic matter; ranging from unicellular or multicellular organisms to spore-bearing syncytia
|2.||truffle - edible subterranean fungus of the genus Tuber|
|3.||truffle - creamy chocolate candy|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
truffle[ˈtrʌfl] N → trufa f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Trüffel f or m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
truffle[ˈtrʌfl] n → tartufo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995