trumpery(redirected from trumperily)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
n. pl. trump·er·ies
1. Showy but worthless finery; bric-a-brac.
2. Nonsense; rubbish.
3. Deception; trickery; fraud.
[Middle English trompery, deceit, from Middle French tromperie, from tromper, to deceive, from Old French se tromper de (quelqu'un), to deceive, mock (literally, "to play (someone) like a trumpet"), from tromper, to play the trumpet, from trompe, horn, trumpet; see trumpet.]
n, pl -eries
1. foolish talk or actions
2. a useless or worthless article; trinket
useless or worthless
[C15: from Old French tromperie deceit, from tromper to cheat]
trump•er•y(ˈtrʌm pə ri)
n., pl. -ries,
1. something without use or value.
2. nonsense; twaddle.
3. Archaic. worthless finery.adj.
4. of little or no value; worthless; rubbishy.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||trumpery - nonsensical talk or writing|
|2.||trumpery - ornamental objects of no great value|