Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
tum·brelor tum·bril (tŭm′brəl)
1. A two-wheeled cart, especially a farmer's cart that can be tilted to dump a load.
2. A crude cart used to carry condemned prisoners to their place of execution, as during the French Revolution.
[Middle English tumberell, from Old French tomberel, from tomber, to fall, perhaps of Germanic origin and akin to English tumble.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Agriculture) a farm cart for carrying dung, esp one that tilts backwards to deposit its load. A cart of this type was used to take condemned prisoners to the guillotine during the French Revolution
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) (formerly) a covered cart that accompanied artillery in order to carry ammunition, tools, etc
3. (Historical Terms) an obsolete word for a ducking stool
[C14 tumberell ducking stool, from Medieval Latin tumbrellum from Old French tumberel dump cart, from tomber to tumble, of Germanic origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or tum•bril(ˈtʌm brəl)
1. a cart used during the French Revolution to convey victims to the guillotine.
2. a farmer's cart, esp. one for hauling manure, that can be tilted to discharge its load.
[1275–1325; Middle English tumberell ducking stool < Medieval Latin tumberellus < Old French tumberel dump-cart =tomb(er) to fall (< Germanic; see tumble) + -rel -rel]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tumbrel - a farm dumpcart for carrying dung; carts of this type were used to carry prisoners to the guillotine during the French Revolution|
dumpcart - a cart that can be tilted to empty contents without handling
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Hist) → Karren m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007