Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to tunicate: amphioxus
tu·ni·cate(to͞o′nĭ-kĭt, -kāt′, tyo͞o′-)
Any of various chordate marine animals of the subphylum Urochordata (or Tunicata), having a cylindrical or globular body enclosed in a tough outer covering and a notochord in the larval stage, and including the sea squirts and salps.
1. Of or relating to the tunicates.
2. Anatomy Having a tunic.
3. Botany Having a tunic, as the bulb of an onion.
[Latin tunicātus, past participle of tunicāre, to clothe with a tunic, from tunica, tunic; see tunic.]
(Animals) any minute primitive marine chordate animal of the subphylum Tunicata (or Urochordata, Urochorda). The adults have a saclike unsegmented body enclosed in a cellulose-like outer covering (tunic) and only the larval forms have a notochord: includes the sea squirts. See also ascidian
1. (Animals) of, relating to, or belonging to the subphylum Tunicata
2. (Botany) (esp of a bulb) having or consisting of concentric layers of tissue
[C18: from Latin tunicātus clad in a tunic]
tu•ni•cate(ˈtu nɪ kɪt, -ˌkeɪt, ˈtyu-)
1. any marine chordate of the subphylum Tunicata (or Urochordata), having a saclike body enclosed in a thick membrane or tunic: includes ascidians and salps.adj.
2. (esp. of the Tunicata) having a tunic or covering.
3. of or pertaining to the tunicates.
4. Bot. having or consisting of a series of concentric layers, as a bulb.Also, tu′ni•cat`ed.
Any of various primitive marine chordate animals having a rounded or cylindrical body that is enclosed in a tough outer covering. Tunicates start out life as free-swimming tadpole-like animals with a notochord (a primitive backbone), but many, such as the sea squirts, lose the notochord and most of their nervous system as adults and become fixed to rocks or other objects.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tunicate - primitive marine animal having a saclike unsegmented body and a urochord that is conspicuous in the larva|
chordate - any animal of the phylum Chordata having a notochord or spinal column
subphylum Tunicata, subphylum Urochorda, subphylum Urochordata, Tunicata, Urochorda, Urochordata - tunicates
ascidian - minute sedentary marine invertebrate having a saclike body with siphons through which water enters and leaves
doliolum - free-swimming oceanic tunicate with a barrel-shaped transparent body
larvacean - any member of the class Larvacea
appendicularia - free-swimming tadpole-shaped pelagic tunicate resembling larvae of other tunicates