Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A turbojet engine in which a fan supplements the total thrust by forcing air directly into the hot turbine exhaust.
2. An aircraft in which a turbofan is used. In both senses also called fanjet.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nAlso called (for senses 1, 2): fanjet
1. (Aeronautics) Also called: high bypass ratio engine a type of by-pass engine in which a large fan driven by a turbine and housed in a short duct forces air rearwards around the exhaust gases in order to increase the propulsive thrust
2. (Aeronautics) an aircraft driven by one or more turbofans
3. (Aeronautics) the ducted fan in such an engine
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or fan′ jet`,
1. Also called turbofan. a jet engine having a large impeller that takes in air for use partly for the combustion of fuel and partly as exhaust.
2. an airplane having such engines.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||turbofan - an airplane propelled by a fanjet engine|
fanjet engine, turbofan engine, turbojet engine, turbojet, turbofan, fanjet, fan-jet - a jet engine in which a fan driven by a turbine provides extra air to the burner and gives extra thrust
|2.||turbofan - a jet engine in which a fan driven by a turbine provides extra air to the burner and gives extra thrust|
afterburner - a device injects fuel into a hot exhaust for extra thrust
gas turbine - turbine that converts the chemical energy of a liquid fuel into mechanical energy by internal combustion; gaseous products of the fuel (which is burned in compressed air) are expanded through a turbine
jet engine - a gas turbine produces a stream of hot gas that propels a jet plane by reaction propulsion
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
turbofan[ˈtɜːbəʊfæn] N → turboventilador m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005