Turk(redirected from Turks)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. A native or inhabitant of Turkey.
2. A member of the principal ethnic group of modern-day Turkey or, formerly, of the Ottoman Empire.
3. A member of any of the Turkic-speaking peoples.
[Middle English, from Old French turc, from Turkish Türk; akin to Old Turkic türk, perhaps from türk, ripe, vigorous, strong.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a native, inhabitant, or citizen of Turkey
2. (Peoples) a native speaker of any Turkic language, such as an inhabitant of Turkmenistan or Kyrgyzstan
3. obsolete derogatory a violent, brutal, or domineering person
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a native or inhabitant of Turkey.
2. a Turkish-speaking citizen of the Ottoman Empire.
3. a member of any Turkic-speaking people.
a. one of a breed of Turkish horses closely related to the Arabian horse.
b. any Turkish horse.
5. Young Turk.
[1300–50; Middle English « Turkish Türk; compare Medieval Latin Turcus, Medieval Greek Toûrkos]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Turk - a native or inhabitant of Turkey |
Republic of Turkey, Turkey - a Eurasian republic in Asia Minor and the Balkans; on the collapse of the Ottoman Empire in 1918, the Young Turks, led by Kemal Ataturk, established a republic in 1923
Turki - any member of the peoples speaking a Turkic language
effendi - a former Turkish term of respect; especially for government officials
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
người Thổ Nhĩ Kỳ
1. (from Turkey) → turco/a m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Turk[ˈtɜːrk] n → Turc (Turque)m/f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Turk[tɜːk] n → turco/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Turk→ تُرْكِيّ Turek tyrker Türke Τούρκος turco turkkilainen Turc Turčin turco トルコ人 터키 사람 Turk tyrker Turek turco турок turk ชาวตุรกี Türk người Thổ Nhĩ Kỳ 土耳其人
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009