Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
a. One that turns a roasting spit.
b. A roasting spit that can be turned.
2. A dog formerly used in a treadmill to turn a roasting spit.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) (formerly) a servant or small dog whose job was to turn the spit on which meat, poultry, etc, was roasting
2. (Cookery) a spit that can be so turned
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a spit that rotates or can be rotated.
2. a person who turns a spit.
3. a small dog formerly used to work a treadmill that turned a spit.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.