Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to tutoring: Kumon
a. A private instructor.
b. One that gives additional, special, or remedial instruction.
2. A teacher or teaching assistant in some universities and colleges having a rank lower than that of an instructor.
3. A graduate, usually a fellow, responsible for the supervision of an undergraduate at some British universities.
4. Law The guardian of a minor.
v. tu·tored, tu·tor·ing, tu·tors
1. To act as a tutor to; instruct or teach privately.
2. To have the guardianship, tutelage, or care of.
1. To function as a tutor.
2. To be instructed by a tutor; study under a tutor.
[Middle English tutour, from Old French, from Latin tūtor, from tūtus, variant past participle of tuērī, to guard.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Education) the act of teaching or instructing
2. (Education) remedial or additional teaching, designed to help people who need extra help with their studies
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.