Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. twirled, twirl·ing, twirls
1. To rotate or revolve briskly; swing in a circle; spin: twirled a baton to lead the band.
2. To twist or wind around: twirl thread on a spindle.
1. To move or spin around rapidly, suddenly, or repeatedly: The pinwheel twirled in the breeze.
2. To whirl or turn suddenly; make an about-face: twirled in the direction of the noise.
3. Baseball To pitch.
1. The act of twirling or the condition of being twirled; a quick spinning or twisting.
2. Something twirled; a twist: a twirl of cotton candy.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||twirler - someone who twirls a baton|
|2.||twirler - (baseball) the person who does the pitching; "our pitcher has a sore arm"|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"
softball game, softball - a game closely resembling baseball that is played on a smaller diamond and with a ball that is larger and softer
left hander, left-handed pitcher, lefthander, left-hander, southpaw, lefty - a baseball pitcher who throws the ball with the left hand
screwballer - (baseball) a pitcher who throws screwballs
starting pitcher - (baseball) a pitcher who starts in a baseball game
thrower - someone who projects something (especially by a rapid motion of the arm)