Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A blue pigment made from powdered lapis lazuli.
b. A similar pigment made synthetically by heating clay, sodium carbonate, and sulfur together.
2. A vivid or strong blue to purplish blue.
1. Of the color ultramarine.
2. Of or from a place beyond the sea.
1. (Dyeing) a blue pigment consisting of sodium and aluminium silicates and some sodium sulphide, obtained by powdering natural lapis lazuli or made synthetically: used in paints, printing ink, plastics, etc
2. (Colours) a vivid blue colour
3. (Colours) of the colour ultramarine
4. (Physical Geography) from across the seas
[C17: from Medieval Latin ultramarinus, from ultrā beyond (see ultra-) + mare sea; so called because the lapis lazuli from which the pigment was made was imported from Asia]
ul•tra•ma•rine(ˌʌl trə məˈrin)
1. of a deep blue color.
2. beyond the sea.n.
3. a blue pigment consisting of powdered lapis lazuli.
4. a similar artificial blue pigment.
5. any of various related pigments.
6. a deep blue color.
ultramarine- First a blue pigment made from lapis lazuli, imported from Asia by sea, so, in Latin, it was ultramarinus, "beyond the seas."
See also related terms for lapis lazuli.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ultramarine - blue pigment made of powdered lapis lazuli|
pigment - dry coloring material (especially a powder to be mixed with a liquid to produce paint, etc.)
|2.||ultramarine - a vivid blue to purple-blue color|
|Adj.||1.||ultramarine - of a brilliant pure blue to purplish blue color|
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue
1. adj → oltremarino/a
2. n → oltremarino