ultramontane(redirected from ultramontanely)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to peoples or regions lying beyond the mountains, especially the Alps.
2. Roman Catholic Church
a. Supporting the authority of the papal court over national or diocesan authority.
b. Relating to or supporting the doctrine of papal supremacy.
1. One who lives beyond the mountains, especially south of the Alps.
2. often Ultramontane Roman Catholic Church One who advocates support of papal policy in ecclesiastical and political matters.
[Medieval Latin ultrāmontānus : Latin ultrā-, ultra- + Latin montānus, of mountains (from mōns, mont-, mountain; see men- in Indo-European roots).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physical Geography) on the other side of the mountains, esp the Alps, from the speaker or writer. Compare cismontane
2. (Roman Catholic Church) of or relating to a movement in the Roman Catholic Church which favours the centralized authority and influence of the pope as opposed to local independence. Compare cisalpine2
3. (Peoples) a resident or native from beyond the mountains, esp the Alps
4. (Roman Catholic Church) a member of the ultramontane party of the Roman Catholic Church
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ul•tra•mon•tane(ˌʌl trə mɒnˈteɪn, -ˈmɒn teɪn)
1. beyond the mountains.
2. of or pertaining to the area south of the Alps, esp. to Italy.
3. pertaining to or advocating ultramontanism.n.
4. a person who lives beyond the mountains.
5. a person living south of the Alps.
6. a believer in ultramontanism.
[1585–95; < Medieval Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
ultramontane- Means "beyond the mountains."
See also related terms for mountains.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ultramontane - a Roman Catholic who advocates ultramontanism (supreme papal authority in matters of faith and discipline)|
Roman Catholic - a member of the Roman Catholic Church
|Adj.||1.||ultramontane - of or relating to ultramontanism|
|2.||ultramontane - on or relating to or characteristic of the region or peoples beyond the Alps from Italy (or north of the Alps); "ancient transalpine Gaul was an area northwest of the Alps and included modern France and Belgium"; "Cracow was a transalpine university"|
|3.||ultramontane - on the Italian or Roman side of the Alps; "ancient cisalpine Gaul included an area south and east of the Alps"|
cismontane - on this (the speaker's) side of the mountains; "a contest in Virginia between a cismontane and a tramontane people"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.