Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A natural brown earth containing ferric oxide and manganese oxides, used as pigment.
2. Any of the shades of brown produced by umber in its various states.
1. Of or related to umber.
2. Having a brownish color.
tr.v. um·bered, um·ber·ing, um·bers
To darken with or as if with umber.
[French (terre d') ombre or Italian (terra di) ombra, shadow (earth), both possibly from alteration (influenced by French ombre Italian ombra, shadow) of Latin Umbria, Umbria.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Elements & Compounds) any of various natural brown earths containing ferric oxide together with lime and oxides of aluminium, manganese, and silicon. See also burnt umber
2. (Colours) any of the dark brown to greenish-brown colours produced by this pigment
3. (Animals) short for umber moth
4. shade or shadow
5. (Colours) any dark, dusky, or indefinite colour
6. (Colours) of, relating to, or stained with umber
7. (Elements & Compounds) of, relating to, or stained with umber
[C16: from French (terre d')ombre or Italian (terra di) ombra shadow (earth), from Latin umbra shade]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a brown earth, largely oxides of iron and manganese, used as a pigment.
2. the color of such a pigment; dark dusky brown or dark reddish brown.
3. the European grayling, Thymallus thymallus.adj.
4. of the color umber.v.t.
5. to color with or as if with umber.
[1250–1300; Middle English umbre, umber shade, shadow < Old French umbre < Latin umbra; in sense "earth" < French terre d'ombre or Italian terra di ombra]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||umber - an earth pigment |
earth color - a colored mineral used as a pigment
raw umber - greenish brown pigment
burnt umber - dark brown pigment obtained by heating umber
|2.||umber - a medium brown to dark-brown color|
|Adj.||1.||umber - of the color of any of various natural brown earth pigments|
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (= earth) → Umbraerde f; (= pigment: also raw umber) → Umbra f, → Umber m; burned umber → gebrannte Umbra
adj → umbrabraun
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995