Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, or resembling a navel or an umbilical cord.
2. Located near the central area of the abdomen.
An umbilical cord.
1. (Anatomy) of, relating to, or resembling the umbilicus or the umbilical cord
2. (Anatomy) in the region of the umbilicus: an umbilical hernia.
(Anatomy) short for umbilical cord
um•bil•i•cal(ʌmˈbɪl ɪ kəl)
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an umbilicus or umbilical cord.
2. joined together by or as if by an umbilical cord.
3. adjacent to or located near the navel.n.
[1535–45; < Medieval Latin]
umbilical- From Latin umbilicus, "navel."
See also related terms for navel.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||umbilical - membranous duct connecting the fetus with the placenta|
conceptus, fertilized egg, embryo - an animal organism in the early stages of growth and differentiation that in higher forms merge into fetal stages but in lower forms terminate in commencement of larval life
fetus, foetus - an unborn or unhatched vertebrate in the later stages of development showing the main recognizable features of the mature animal
duct, epithelial duct, canal, channel - a bodily passage or tube lined with epithelial cells and conveying a secretion or other substance; "the tear duct was obstructed"; "the alimentary canal"; "poison is released through a channel in the snake's fangs"
funiculus - any of several body structure resembling a cord
fetal membrane - any membrane that functions for the protection or nourishment or respiration or excretion of a developing fetus
|Adj.||1.||umbilical - relating to or resembling the umbilicus; "umbilical cord"|
umbilical[ˌʌmbɪˈlaɪk/əl] adj → ombelicale
a. umbilical, rel. al ombligo;
___ notch → ligamento ___;
___ hernia → hernia ___.