Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to umbrella tree: umbrella plant
1. A small magnolia tree (Magnolia tripetala) of the southeast United States, having large leaves clustered in an umbrellalike form at the ends of the branches.
2. See schefflera.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a North American magnolia, Magnolia tripetala, having long leaves clustered into an umbrella formation at the ends of the branches and unpleasant-smelling white flowers
2. (Plants) Also called: umbrella bush any of various other trees or shrubs having leaves shaped like an umbrella or growing in an umbrella-like cluster
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an American magnolia, Magnolia tripetala, having large leaves in umbrellalike clusters.
2. any of various other trees resembling an umbrella.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||umbrella tree - erect evergreen shrub or small tree of Australia and northern New Guinea having palmately compound leaves|
genus Schefflera, Schefflera - large genus of shrubby and climbing tropical plants having showy digitately compound foliage
|2.||umbrella tree - small deciduous tree of eastern North America having creamy white flowers and large leaves in formations like umbrellas at the ends of branches|
magnolia - any shrub or tree of the genus Magnolia; valued for their longevity and exquisite fragrant blooms
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.