Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Not suitable or appropriate.
2. Not likely or liable.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (often foll by: for) not suitable or qualified; unfitted
2. mentally slow
3. (postpositive; may take an infinitive) not disposed or likely (to)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. not appropriate; unfit or unsuitable.
2. not prone, likely, or disposed.
3. deficient in aptitude or capacity; slow; dull.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
1. Not suited to circumstances:
improper, inappropriate, inapt, incongruous, inept, malapropos, unbecoming, unbefitting, unfit, unseemly, unsuitable.
Idiom: out of place.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.