Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Lacking backing or support.
2. Not having a back.
3. Never having been ridden, as a horse.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (of a book, chair, etc) not having a back
2. bereft of support, esp on a financial basis
3. (Horse Racing) (of a horse)
a. not supported by bets
b. never having been ridden
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. without backing or support.
2. not endorsed.
3. (of a horse) never having been ridden.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.