unchurch(redirected from unchurching)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
tr.v. un·churched, un·church·ing, un·church·es
1. To expel from a church or from church membership; excommunicate.
2. To deprive (a congregation, sect, or building) of the status of a church.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) to excommunicate
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) to remove church status from (a building)
1. to expel from a church; excommunicate.
2. to deprive of the character and rights of a church.
Past participle: unchurched
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||unchurch - exclude from a church or a religious community; "The gay priest was excommunicated when he married his partner"|
excommunicate - oust or exclude from a group or membership by decree