unction(redirected from unctions)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The act of anointing as part of a religious, ceremonial, or healing ritual.
2. An ointment or oil; a salve.
3. Something that serves to soothe; a balm.
4. Affected or exaggerated earnestness, especially in choice and use of language.
[Middle English, from Latin ūnctiō, ūnctiōn-, from ūnctus, past participle of unguere, to anoint.]
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) chiefly RC Church Eastern Churches the act of anointing with oil in sacramental ceremonies, in the conferring of holy orders
2. excessive suavity or affected charm
3. an ointment or unguent
4. anything soothing or comforting
[C14: from Latin unctiō an anointing, from ungere to anoint; see unguent]
1. the act of anointing, esp. as a medical treatment or religious rite.
2. the oil used in religious rites, as in anointing the sick or dying.
3. something soothing or comforting.
4. an affected or excessive earnestness in manner or utterance; unctuousness.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin ūnctiō, derivative of ungu(ere) to smear, anoint]
Unctionof undertakers: a company of undertakers—Lipton, 1970.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||unction - excessive but superficial compliments given with affected charm|
compliment - a remark (or act) expressing praise and admiration
|2.||unction - smug self-serving earnestness |
hypocrisy - insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have
|3.||unction - semisolid preparation (usually containing a medicine) applied externally as a remedy or for soothing an irritation|
arnica - an ointment used in treating bruises
baby oil - an ointment for babies
balsam - an ointment containing a fragrant resin
carron oil - an ointment formerly used to treat burns
cerate - a hard medicated paste made of lard or oil mixed with wax or resin
chrism, chrisom, holy oil, sacramental oil - a consecrated ointment consisting of a mixture of oil and balsam
lip balm - a balm applied to the lips
mentholated salve - a salve containing menthol
mercurial ointment - an ointment containing mercury
zinc ointment - an ointment containing zinc that is used to treat certain skin diseases
|4.||unction - anointing as part of a religious ceremony or healing ritual|
unction[ˈʌŋkʃ/ən] n extreme unction (Rel) → estrema unzione f
n. unción, aplicación de un ungüento o aceite.