Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A current, as of air or water, below another current or beneath a surface.
2. An underlying tendency, force, or influence often contrary to what is superficially evident.
nAlso called: underflow
1. (Physical Geography) a current that is not apparent at the surface or lies beneath another current
2. an opinion, emotion, etc, lying beneath apparent feeling or meaning
un•der•cur•rent(ˈʌn dərˌkɜr ənt, -ˌkʌr-)
1. a hidden tendency or feeling underlying and often at variance with someone's words, actions, etc.
2. a current, as of air or water, that flows below the upper currents or surface.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||undercurrent - a subdued emotional quality underlying an utterance; implicit meaning|
|2.||undercurrent - a current below the surface of a fluid|
tide - the periodic rise and fall of the sea level under the gravitational pull of the moon
sea purse, sea puss, sea-poose, sea-purse, sea-puss, undertow - the seaward undercurrent created after waves have broken on the shore
1. undertone, feeling, atmosphere, sense, suggestion, trend, hint, flavour, tendency, drift, murmur, tenor, aura, tinge, vibes (slang), vibrations, overtone, hidden feeling a deep undercurrent of racism in British society