Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Wikipedia.
1. Employed only part-time when one needs and desires full-time employment.
2. Employed at a low-paying job that requires less skill or training than one possesses.
n. (used with a pl. verb)
Underemployed persons considered as a group. Used with the.
(Industrial Relations & HR Terms) not fully or adequately employed
un•der•em•ployed(ˌʌn dər ɛmˈplɔɪd)
1. employed at a job that does not fully use one's skills or abilities.
2. employed only part-time when one is available for full-time work.
3. not utilized fully, as machinery or facilities.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||underemployed - employed only part-time when one needs full-time employment or not making full use of your skills; "migrants are likely to be poor and underemployed"; "able people are kept underemployed"|