Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to underlying: Underlying assumptions
1. Lying under or beneath something: underlying strata.
2. Basic; fundamental: the underlying cause of the problem.
3. Present but not readily noticeable: an underlying meaning.
4. Taking precedence; prior: an underlying claim to compensation.
1. concealed but detectable: underlying guilt.
2. fundamental; basic
3. lying under
4. (Banking & Finance) finance (of a claim, liability, etc) taking precedence; prior
un•der•ly•ing(ˈʌn dərˌlaɪ ɪŋ)
1. lying beneath something else, as a substratum.
2. fundamental; basic: the underlying cause.
3. discoverable only by close scrutiny or analysis; implicit.
4. (of a claim, mortgage, etc.) taking precedence; prior.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||underlying - in the nature of something though not readily apparent; "shortcomings inherent in our approach"; "an underlying meaning"|
|2.||underlying - located beneath or below |
subjacent - lying nearby but lower; "hills and subjacent valleys"
|3.||underlying - being or involving basic facts or principles; "the fundamental laws of the universe"; "a fundamental incomatibility between them"; "these rudimentary truths"; "underlying principles"|
basic - pertaining to or constituting a base or basis; "a basic fact"; "the basic ingredients"; "basic changes in public opinion occur because of changes in priorities"