Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An underlying or implied tendency or meaning; an undercurrent.
2. A tone of low pitch or volume, especially of spoken sound.
a. A pale or subdued color.
b. A color applied under or seen through another color.
1. a quiet or hushed tone of voice
2. an underlying tone or suggestion in words or actions: his offer has undertones of dishonesty.
3. (Colours) a pale or subdued colour
1. a low or subdued tone: to speak in undertones.
2. an unobtrusive or background sound.
3. an underlying quality or element; undercurrent: an undertone of regret in his voice.
4. a subdued color; a color modified by an underlying color.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||undertone - a quiet or hushed tone of voice; "spoke in undertones"|
|2.||undertone - a subdued emotional quality underlying an utterance; implicit meaning|
|3.||undertone - a pale or subdued color|
(= low voice) in an undertone → à mi-voix