undertone(redirected from undertones)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. An underlying or implied tendency or meaning; an undercurrent.
2. A tone of low pitch or volume, especially of spoken sound.
a. A pale or subdued color.
b. A color applied under or seen through another color.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a quiet or hushed tone of voice
2. an underlying tone or suggestion in words or actions: his offer has undertones of dishonesty.
3. (Colours) a pale or subdued colour
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a low or subdued tone: to speak in undertones.
2. an unobtrusive or background sound.
3. an underlying quality or element; undercurrent: an undertone of regret in his voice.
4. a subdued color; a color modified by an underlying color.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||undertone - a quiet or hushed tone of voice; "spoke in undertones"|
|2.||undertone - a subdued emotional quality underlying an utterance; implicit meaning|
|3.||undertone - a pale or subdued color|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. murmur, whisper, low tone, subdued voice Well-dressed clients were talking in polite undertones as they ate.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
3. [of perfume, taste, colour] → matiz m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(= low voice) in an undertone → à mi-voix
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
b. undertones npl (comic, religious) → sfumature fpl
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995