Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One of a pair of hind wings of an insect, especially a moth or butterfly.
2. Any of various noctuid moths chiefly of the genus Catocala, having drab forewings and brightly colored hind wings that are not visible when the moth is at rest. Also called underwing moth.
3. The underside of a wing, as of a bird or airplane.
1. one of the hind wings of an insect.
2. any of several noctuid moths of the genus Catocala, characterized by red-, yellow-, or orange-banded hind wings.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||underwing - moth having dull forewings and brightly colored hind wings|
noctuid, noctuid moth, owlet moth - usually dull-colored medium-sized nocturnal moth; the usually smooth-bodied larvae are destructive agricultural pests