underwire(redirected from underwires)
1. A semicircular wire support sewn into the underside of each cup of a brassiere.
2. A brassiere with such a wire support.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion)
a. the wire under the cup section in a bra
b. (as modifier): underwire bras.
2. (Clothing & Fashion) (as modifier): underwire bras.
(tr) to support with wire underneath
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a wire sewn into the underside of each cup of a brassiere, used for support and shape.
2. a brassiere with such wires.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.