unfold(redirected from unfolded)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
to become clear, apparent, or known: the mystery unfolds slowly; to spread or open out: unfold the blanket; to lay open to view; to set forth; explain; to develop
Not to be confused with:
enfold – to wrap up; envelop; to surround as if with folds: enfolded in mystery; embrace: enfolded in her lover’s arms
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
v. un·fold·ed, un·fold·ing, un·folds
1. To open and spread out (something folded); extend.
2. To remove the coverings from; disclose to view: unfold a package.
3. To reveal gradually by written or spoken explanation; make known: "He unfolded his tale of woe: the descriptions of poverty and the great distance they had traveled, the abuses they had suffered, the injustice of it all" (Robert Rosenberg).
a. To become spread out; open out: Spring flowers unfolded everywhere.
b. To develop or occur as a series of events or stages: "The trial unfolded in an imposing, high-ceilinged courtroom in Westminster Hall" (Adam Hochschild).
2. To be revealed gradually to the understanding: A solution to the problem unfolded as they spoke.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. to open or spread out or be opened or spread out from a folded state
2. to reveal or be revealed: the truth unfolds.
3. to develop or expand or be developed or expanded
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to bring out of a folded state; spread or open out.
2. to spread out or lay open to view.
3. to reveal or display.
4. to disclose in words, esp. by careful exposition; explain.v.i.
5. to become unfolded; open.
6. to develop.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: unfolded
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||unfold - develop or come to a promising stage; "Youth blossomed into maturity"|
develop - grow, progress, unfold, or evolve through a process of evolution, natural growth, differentiation, or a conducive environment; "A flower developed on the branch"; "The country developed into a mighty superpower"; "The embryo develops into a fetus"; "This situation has developed over a long time"
|2.||unfold - open to the view; "A walk through town will unfold many interesting buildings"|
|3.||unfold - extend or stretch out to a greater or the full length; "Unfold the newspaper"; "stretch out that piece of cloth"; "extend the TV antenna"|
extend - open or straighten out; unbend; "Can we extend the legs of this dining table?"
|4.||unfold - spread out or open from a closed or folded state; "open the map"; "spread your arms"|
undo - cancel, annul, or reverse an action or its effect; "I wish I could undo my actions"
divaricate - spread apart; "divaricate one's fingers"
exfoliate - spread by opening the leaves of
grass - spread out clothes on the grass to let it dry and bleach
butterfly - cut and spread open, as in preparation for cooking; "butterflied shrimp"
uncross - change from a crossed to an uncrossed position; "She uncrossed her legs"
splay - spread open or apart; "He splayed his huge hands over the table"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. develop, happen, progress, grow, emerge, occur, take place, expand, work out, mature, evolve, blossom, transpire, bear fruit The outcome depends on conditions as well as how events unfold.
2. reveal, tell, present, show, describe, explain, illustrate, disclose, uncover, clarify, divulge, narrate, make known Mr Wills unfolds his story with evident enjoyment.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
1. To move or arrange so as to cover a larger area:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
يَكْشِف عنيَنْشُر، يَبْسُط
gera grein fyrir, koma smám saman í ljósopna, breiîa úr/út
B. VI → desplegarse, desdoblarse (fig) [view etc] → revelarse
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
[+ map, blanket, tablecloth, newspaper, chair] → déplier; [+ wings, arms] → déployer
She unfolded the map → Elle a déplié la carte.
She unfolded the map → Elle a déplié la carte.
[+ story, tale] → narrer
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
paper, cloth → auseinanderfalten, entfalten; (= spread out) wings → ausbreiten; arms → lösen; chair, table → aufklappen, auseinanderklappen
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. vt (newspaper, map, wings) → spiegare, aprire; (arms) → distendere (fig) (plan, idea) → esporre; (secret) → svelare
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. to open and spread out (a map etc). He sat down and unfolded his newspaper. oopvou يَنْشُر، يَبْسُط разгръщам desdobrar rozložit entfalten brede ud ξεδιπλώνω, ξετυλίγωdesplegar lahti voltima پهن کردن avata déplier לִפרוֹש खोलना raširiti kiterít membuka lipatan opna, breiða úr/út spiegare, stendere 広げる 펼치다 išskleisti atvērt; atlocīt membuka openvouwenbrette ut, åpnerozłożyć, rozwinąć desdobrar a desface, a despături развертывать rozložiť razgrniti razmotati veckla upp (ut) คลี่ açmak 攤開 розгортати(ся); розкривати(ся) کھولنا، پھيلانا mở ra , bày ra 摊开
2. to (cause to) be revealed or become known. She gradually unfolded her plan to them. ontvou يَكْشِف عن разкрувам revelar odhalit enthüllen afsløre αποκαλύπτω, αναπτύσσω ώστε να κάνω κτ. γνωστό revelar paljastama برملا کردن paljastaa révéler לְגָלוֹת उजागर करना, वर्णन करना razotkriti kifejt mengungkapkan gera grein fyrir, koma smám saman í ljós rivelare, svelare 示す 서서히 밝히다 atskleisti atklāt; atklāties mendedahkan ontvouwenåpenbare, rulle oppwyjawić revelar a revela раскрывать odhaliť razkriti otkriti yppa, avslöja เปิดเผย açıklamak; anlaşılmak 明朗化，揭露 відкривати آشکارا کرنا bày tỏ, bộc lộ 阐明
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.