Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to unguiculate: clavicular
un·guic·u·late(ŭng-gwĭk′yə-lĭt, -lāt′) also un·guic·u·lat·ed (-lā′tĭd)
1. Having or resembling nails or claws.
2. Zoology Having nails or claws, as opposed to hooves. Used of mammals.
3. Botany Having a claw-shaped base: an unguiculate petal.
[New Latin unguiculātus, from Latin unguiculus, fingernail, diminutive of unguis; see unguis.]
unguiculate(ʌŋˈɡwɪkjʊlɪt; -ˌleɪt) or
1. (Biology) (of mammals) having claws or nails
2. (Botany) (of petals) having a clawlike base
(Biology) an unguiculate mammal
[C19: from New Latin unguiculātus, from Latin unguiculus, diminutive of unguis nail, claw]
un•guic•u•late(ʌŋˈgwɪk yɛ lɪt, -ˌleɪt)
adj. Also, un•guic′u•lat`ed.
1. bearing or resembling a nail or claw.
2. belonging or pertaining to the former superorder Unguiculata, comprising mammals having nails or claws, as distinguished from hoofs.n.
3. an unguiculate animal.
[1795–1805; < New Latin unguiculātus < Latin unguicul(us) fingernail (ungu(is)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||unguiculate - a mammal having nails or claws|
|Adj.||1.||unguiculate - having or resembling claws or nails; "unguiculate animals"; "an unguiculate flower petal"|