unguiculate(redirected from unguiculately)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to unguiculately: clavicular
un·guic·u·late(ŭng-gwĭk′yə-lĭt, -lāt′) also un·guic·u·lat·ed (-lā′tĭd)
1. Having or resembling nails or claws.
2. Zoology Having nails or claws, as opposed to hooves. Used of mammals.
3. Botany Having a claw-shaped base: an unguiculate petal.
[New Latin unguiculātus, from Latin unguiculus, fingernail, diminutive of unguis; see unguis.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
unguiculate(ʌŋˈɡwɪkjʊlɪt; -ˌleɪt) or
1. (Biology) (of mammals) having claws or nails
2. (Botany) (of petals) having a clawlike base
(Biology) an unguiculate mammal
[C19: from New Latin unguiculātus, from Latin unguiculus, diminutive of unguis nail, claw]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
un•guic•u•late(ʌŋˈgwɪk yɛ lɪt, -ˌleɪt)
adj. Also, un•guic′u•lat`ed.
1. bearing or resembling a nail or claw.
2. belonging or pertaining to the former superorder Unguiculata, comprising mammals having nails or claws, as distinguished from hoofs.n.
3. an unguiculate animal.
[1795–1805; < New Latin unguiculātus < Latin unguicul(us) fingernail (ungu(is)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||unguiculate - a mammal having nails or claws|
|Adj.||1.||unguiculate - having or resembling claws or nails; "unguiculate animals"; "an unguiculate flower petal"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.