Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A fabled creature symbolic of virginity and usually represented as a horse with a single straight spiraled horn projecting from its forehead.
b. Heraldry A representation of this beast, having a horse's body, a stag's legs, a lion's tail, and a straight spiral horn growing from its forehead, especially employed as a supporter for the Royal Arms of Great Britain or of Scotland.
2. Unicorn The constellation Monoceros.
a. Something that is greatly desired but difficult or impossible to find: "Is antigravity the unicorn of physics? Or do we simply lack the strategy and bait to catch it in an experimental snare?" (Jerome Groopman).
b. Business A startup company valued at one billion dollars or more.
[Middle English unicorne, from Old French, from Late Latin ūnicornis, from Latin, having one horn : ūnus, one; see oi-no- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots + cornū, horn; see ker-1 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. (European Myth & Legend) an imaginary creature usually depicted as a white horse with one long spiralled horn growing from its forehead
2. (Animals) an imaginary creature usually depicted as a white horse with one long spiralled horn growing from its forehead
3. (Bible) Old Testament a two-horned animal, thought to be either the rhinoceros or the aurochs (Deuteronomy 33:17): mistranslation in the Authorized Version of the original Hebrew
[C13: from Old French unicorne, from Latin ūnicornis one-horned, from ūnus one + cornu a horn]
art at unilateral(ˈyu nɪˌkɔrn)
1. a mythical creature resembling a horse, with a single horn in the center of its forehead: often symbolic of chastity or purity.
2. an animal mentioned in the Bible: now believed to be a wild ox or rhinoceros. Deut. 33:17.
unicorn- From a Greek wild ox known as monokeros, "one horn," which, in Latin, became unicornis.
See also related terms for horn.
tek boynuzlu at
unicorn[ˈjuːnɪkɔːn] N → unicornio m
unicorn[ˈjuːnikɔːrn] n → licorne f
n → Einhorn nt
unicorn[ˈjuːnɪˌkɔːn] n → unicorno
in mythology, an animal like a horse, but with one straight horn on the forehead. eenhoring وَحيد القَرْن еднорог unicórnio jednorožec das Einhorn enhjørning μονόκερος (μυθικό άλογο) unicornio ükssarv(ik) تک شاخ yksisarvinen licorne חַד-קֶרֶן एकश्रृंग jednorog egyszarvú kuda bertanduk einhyrningur unicorno 一角獣 일각수(一角獸) vienaragis vienradzis unikorn eenhoornenhjørning jednorożec unicórnio unicorn единорог jednorožec samorog jednorog enhörning สัตว์ชนิดหนึ่งในเทพนิยาย (mitolojik) tek boynuzlu at 獨角獸 єдиноріг ايک افسانوي جانور con kỳ lân 独角兽