Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to unionize: unionised
v. un·ion·ized, un·ion·iz·ing, un·ion·iz·es
1. To organize into a labor union.
2. To cause to join a labor union.
To organize or join a labor union.
un′ion·i·za′tion (-yə-nĭ-zā′shən) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) to organize (workers) into a trade union
2. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) to join or cause to join a trade union
3. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) (tr) to subject to the rules or codes of a trade union
4. (Law) to join or become joined in marriage or civil partnership
ˌunioniˈzation, ˌunioniˈsation n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v. -ized, -iz•ing. v.t.
1. to organize (workers) into a labor union.v.i.
2. to join in or form a labor union.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: unionized
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||unionize - recruit for a union or organize into a union; "We don't allow people to come into our plant and try to unionize the workers"|
|2.||unionize - form or join a union; "The auto workers decided to unionize"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
unionize[ˈjuːnjənaɪz] unionise (British) vt → syndiquerUnion Jack n
the Union Jack → l'Union Jack munion member n → syndiqué(e) m/f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995