Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to a unit.
2. Having the nature of a unit; whole.
3. Based on or characterized by one or more units.
1. of a unit or units
2. based on or characterized by unity
3. individual; whole
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) of or relating to a system of government in which all governing authority is held by the central government. Compare federal
u•ni•tar•y(ˈyu nɪˌtɛr i)
1. of or pertaining to a unit or units.
2. of, pertaining to, characterized by, or aiming toward unity.
3. of the nature of a unit; whole.
u`ni•tar′i•ly (-ˈtɛər-) adv.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||unitary - relating to or characterized by or aiming toward unity; "the unitary principles of nationalism"; "a unitary movement in politics"|
|2.||unitary - of or pertaining to or involving the use of units; "a unitary method was applied"; "established a unitary distance on which to base subsequent calculations"|
|3.||unitary - characterized by or constituting a form of government in which power is held by one central authority; "a unitary as opposed to a federal form of government"|
governing, government activity, government, governance, administration - the act of governing; exercising authority; "regulations for the governing of state prisons"; "he had considerable experience of government"
federal - characterized by or constituting a form of government in which power is divided between one central and several regional authorities; "a federal system like that of the United States"; "federal governments often evolved out of confederations"
|4.||unitary - having the indivisible character of a unit; "a unitary action"; "spoke with one voice"|
united - characterized by unity; being or joined into a single entity; "presented a united front"