Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to universalist: Unitarian Universalist
1. Universalism The doctrine, held especially by some Christian groups, that all people will eventually be saved.
2. The condition of being universal, as in range or application; universality: the universalism of a signaling system in human cells.
3. The belief that a particular theory or religion has universal application and is not limited in scope.
u′ni·ver′s·alist adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a person who has a wide range of interests, knowledge, activities, etc
characterized by universality
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
u•ni•ver•sal•ist(ˌyu nəˈvɜr sə lɪst)
1. a person characterized by universalism, as in knowledge, interests, or activities.
2. (cap.) a member of a liberal religious denomination advocating Universalism. Compare Unitarian Universalist.adj.
3. (cap.) Also, U`ni•ver`sal•is′tic. of or pertaining to Universalism or Universalists.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||universalist - of or relating to or tending toward universalism|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.