Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to unsaturated: Unsaturated solution, unsaturated compound, Unsaturated hydrocarbon, unsaturated fatty acids, Unsaturated polyester
1. Of or relating to an organic compound, especially a fatty acid, containing one or more double or triple bonds between the carbon atoms.
2. Capable of dissolving more of a solute at a given temperature.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. not saturated
2. (Chemistry) (of a chemical compound, esp an organic compound) containing one or more double or triple bonds and thus capable of undergoing addition reactions
3. (Chemistry) (of a fat, esp a vegetable fat) containing a high proportion of fatty acids having double bonds
4. (Chemistry) (of a solution) containing less solute than a saturated solution
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
un•sat•u•rat•ed(ʌnˈsætʃ əˌreɪ tɪd)
1. not saturated; having the power to dissolve still more of a substance.
2. (of an organic compound) having a double or triple bond and capable of forming new compounds by addition.[1750-60]
un•sat′u•rate (-ər ɪt, -əˌreɪt) n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Relating to an organic compound in which two or more of the carbon atoms are joined by a double or triple bond and therefore can be combined with additional atoms or radicals. Benzene and unsaturated fatty acids are examples of unsaturated compounds. Compare saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated.
2. Relating to a solution that is capable of dissolving more solute than it already contains.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||unsaturated - not saturated; capable of dissolving more of a substance at a given temperature; "an unsaturated salt solution"|
|2.||unsaturated - used of a compound (especially of carbon) containing atoms sharing more than one valence bond; "unsaturated fats"|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
saturated - used especially of organic compounds; having all available valence bonds filled; "saturated fats"
|3.||unsaturated - (of color) not chromatically pure; diluted; "an unsaturated red"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj (Chem) → ungesättigt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
unsaturated[ʌnˈsætʃəˌreɪtɪd] adj (fat) → insaturo/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a. no saturado-a.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.