unsaturated(redirected from unsaturatedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to unsaturatedly: Unsaturated solution, unsaturated compound, unsaturated fatty acids, Unsaturated polyester
1. Of or relating to an organic compound, especially a fatty acid, containing one or more double or triple bonds between the carbon atoms.
2. Capable of dissolving more of a solute at a given temperature.
1. not saturated
2. (Chemistry) (of a chemical compound, esp an organic compound) containing one or more double or triple bonds and thus capable of undergoing addition reactions
3. (Chemistry) (of a fat, esp a vegetable fat) containing a high proportion of fatty acids having double bonds
4. (Chemistry) (of a solution) containing less solute than a saturated solution
un•sat•u•rat•ed(ʌnˈsætʃ əˌreɪ tɪd)
1. not saturated; having the power to dissolve still more of a substance.
2. (of an organic compound) having a double or triple bond and capable of forming new compounds by addition.[1750-60]
un•sat′u•rate (-ər ɪt, -əˌreɪt) n.
1. Relating to an organic compound in which two or more of the carbon atoms are joined by a double or triple bond and therefore can be combined with additional atoms or radicals. Benzene and unsaturated fatty acids are examples of unsaturated compounds. Compare saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated.
2. Relating to a solution that is capable of dissolving more solute than it already contains.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||unsaturated - not saturated; capable of dissolving more of a substance at a given temperature; "an unsaturated salt solution"|
|2.||unsaturated - used of a compound (especially of carbon) containing atoms sharing more than one valence bond; "unsaturated fats"|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
saturated - used especially of organic compounds; having all available valence bonds filled; "saturated fats"
|3.||unsaturated - (of color) not chromatically pure; diluted; "an unsaturated red"|