untouchable(redirected from untouchability)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
a. Not permitted to be touched: an untouchable idol.
b. Not capable of being touched or reached: an untouchable tennis serve.
a. Not permitted to be discussed: an untouchable subject.
b. Not subject or susceptible to criticism, rebuke, or attack: an appointee who was untouchable because of his political connections.
c. Not capable of being affected, especially adversely: bacteria that are untouchable by an antibiotic.
d. Not permitted to be altered: an untouchable religious text.
e. Not capable of being rivaled or surpassed: an untouchable skier.
f. Baseball Not giving up any hits. Used of a pitcher.
3. Often Offensive Relating to or being the Dalit class in traditional Indian society.
n. often Untouchable
Often Offensive A Dalit.
1. lying beyond reach
2. above reproach, suspicion, or impeachment
3. unable to be touched
(Hinduism) taboo a former name for Dalit
Usage: In relation to the caste system, the term untouchable is banned in both the Indian and Pakistani constitutions
un•touch•a•ble(ʌnˈtʌtʃ ə bəl)
1. that may not be touched; not palpable; intangible.
2. too distant to be touched.
3. vile or loathsome to the touch.
4. beyond criticism, control, or suspicion.n.
5. a member of a lower caste in India whose touch was formerly believed to defile a high-caste Hindu.
6. a person disregarded or shunned by society or a particular group; social outcast.
7. a person or thing considered inviolable or beyond criticism.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||untouchable - belongs to lowest social and ritual class in India|
|Adj.||1.||untouchable - beyond the reach of criticism or attack or impeachment; "for the first time criticism was directed at a hitherto untouchable target"- Newsweek|
invulnerable - immune to attack; impregnable; "gunners raked the beach from invulnerable positions on the cliffs"
|2.||untouchable - impossible to assail |
inviolable - incapable of being transgressed or dishonored; "the person of the king is inviolable"; "an inviolable oath"
|3.||untouchable - forbidden to the touch; "in most museums such articles are untouchable"|
impermissible - not permitted; "impermissible behavior"
|4.||untouchable - ( especially used in traditional Hindu belief of the lowest caste or castes) defiling|
|5.||untouchable - not capable of being obtained; "a rare work, today almost inaccessible"; "timber is virtually unobtainable in the islands"; "untouchable resources buried deep within the earth"|
unavailable - not available or accessible or at hand; "fresh milk was unavailable during the emergency"; "his secretary said he was unavailable for comment"