Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. Not in use or put to use.
2. Never having been used.
3. (ŭn-yo͞ost′) Not accustomed: unused to city traffic.
1. not being or never having been made use of
2. (foll by: to) not accustomed or used (to something)
un•used(ʌnˈyuzd for 1,2; ʌnˈyust for 3 )
1. not used; not put to use: an unused room.
2. never having been used.
3. not accustomed: unused to cold winters.
disused unused misused
A disused place or building is no longer used for its original purpose and is now empty.
The sculpture was stored in a disused lorry factory.
Something that is unused has never been used.
A pile of unused fuel lay nearby.
When something is misused, it is used in a wrong or careless way.
He wanted to prevent science from being misused.
In some cases pesticides are deliberately misused.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||unused - not yet used or soiled; "a fresh shirt"; "a fresh sheet of paper"; "an unused envelope"|
clean - free from dirt or impurities; or having clean habits; "children with clean shining faces"; "clean white shirts"; "clean dishes"; "a spotlessly clean house"; "cats are clean animals"
|2.||unused - not yet put into use; "we bought an unused car for a change"|
new - not of long duration; having just (or relatively recently) come into being or been made or acquired or discovered; "a new law"; "new cars"; "a new comet"; "a new friend"; "a new year"; "the New World"
|3.||unused - not in active use; "the machinery sat idle during the strike"; "idle hands"|
inactive - lacking activity; lying idle or unused; "an inactive mine"; "inactive accounts"; "inactive machinery"
|4.||unused - infrequently exposed to; "feet unused to shoes"|
unaccustomed - not habituated to; unfamiliar with; "unaccustomed to wearing suits"
1. new, untouched, remaining, fresh, intact, immaculate, pristine unused containers of food and drink
2. remaining, leftover, unconsumed, left, available, extra, unutilized Throw away any unused cream when it has reached the expiry date.
(= not utilized) [land, building, room, appliance, muscles] → inutilisé(e); [clothes] → qui n'a pas été porté(e)
adj (= new) → unbenutzt, ungebraucht; clothes → ungetragen; banknote → druckfrisch; (= not made use of) → ungenutzt; (= no longer used) → nicht mehr benutzt or gebraucht; (= left over) food → übrig geblieben