up-front(redirected from up front)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Wikipedia.
up·frontor up-front (ŭp′frŭnt′)Informal
1. Straightforward; frank.
2. Paid or due in advance: upfront cash.
adv. also up front
In advance; beforehand: demanded to be paid up front for the photographs.
adj. Also, up′front′.
1. invested or paid in advance or as beginning capital: an up-front fee of five percent.
2. honest; candid; straightforward.
3. conspicuous or prominent.adv.
4. in advance; initially: They asked for $1,000 up-front.Also, up′ front′.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
1. open, frank, honest, candid, direct, above board You can't help being biased so you may as well be up front about it.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002