upcast(redirected from upcasting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to upcasting: Downcasting
Directed or thrown upward: upcast volcanic ash.
1. Something cast upward.
2. A ventilating shaft, as in a mine.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. material cast or thrown up
2. (Mining & Quarrying) a ventilation shaft through which air leaves a mine. Compare downcast3
3. (Geological Science) geology (in a fault) the section of strata that has been displaced upwards
directed or thrown upwards
vb, -casts, -casting or -cast
(tr) to throw or cast up
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. something cast or thrown up, as soil in digging.adj.
2. directed or thrown upward.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: upcast
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011